Wondering how to reach the local market?
We’ve already outlined ways to reach the international market. Now, let’s talk local. If you’re a small business, a great place to find customers is right outside your front door. If you do it right, you’ll inspire the local pride of your community, and get them interested in your business! So, let’s go over our top tips on how to reach the local market.
The best way to get support from your local community is to support them back! Be the change you want to see, and start shopping locally. Other small business owners are far more likely to support you if you support their business, and they might even go so far as to recommend you to their customers. Try to build a relationship with other local business owners in your area. It’s a great support system, and a great way to promote your business.
Localize your online presence
Even though you’re targetting the local market, your online presence is still important! Shoppers still browse a business’ online store or social media before going to the physical store, and many customers will shop online even if your shop is in their local area. Make sure your social media profiles and your webshop are up to date and looking good!
- Use locally significant keywords. Use your location, or terms from your local area, in your keywords, so that locals looking for your product or services will be able to find you easily.
- Use local slang in your ads. Locals are more likely to relate to your ads if they see the language they know is exclusive to them. It makes them feel like they’re part of a community, and they’ll be more likely to remember your ad and engage with your business. Just be careful not to be too over the top! Keep it tasteful.
- Keep up to date with current events happening in the area. If something is coming up, such as a festival or a holiday, use that to advertise! Center your ad around the event, have a big sale the day of, or days leading up to the event. Get creative!
Engage with the community
Besides doing your own local shopping, try to engage with the community even further to build brand awareness and build a loyal customer base.
- Organize pop-up shops at local events, such as farmer’s markets, sports games, festivals, or other community events. Makes sure you have the means to travel with your shop and open up pop-up shops. Mobile POS devices are ideal for this!
- Sponsor local events. Even if you’re not there selling your products, sponsoring an event still gets your business name out there.
- Have other businesses pop-up in your shop. This goes back to supporting local to get local support. Not only is it a great way to support a fellow local business owner, but all of their loyal customers will come your way and likely become your customers, too.
Reward your local customers
Keep the locals coming back by making them feel appreciated!
- Thank them for shopping locally at your business, and remember their names and faces when they return for an extra personal touch.
- Get a loyalty or points and rewards program for your customers. Getting rewards for their purchases incentivizes them to buy more, and they’ll be more likely to return to get those rewards!
- Giveaways. Get them to like your social media pages and share with a friend, and then have a draw and give away some of your spectacular products to the winner! This is an exceptional way to build brand awareness, expand your reach, and give potential customers the chance to fall in love with your product.
If you want to learn more about how to build customer loyalty, lees dit artikel.